Author Topic: WEDI BOARD - what, why, how, buy  (Read 11273 times)

Offline Cracked

• Certified Organic Cosmic Hippie Chic
  • Administrator
  • Melter
  • “Laugh often, Dream big, Reach for the stars!”
    • flickr photos
WEDI BOARD - what, why, how, buy
« on: March 19, 2008, 05:41:04 PM »
WEDI PANELS FOR MOSAICS

WHAT IS THIS STUFF & WHY USE IT??  Wedi Panels are used most commonly in building applications as a tile underlayment, like other cement boards.  They are rigid, waterproof and weatherproof.  They don’t warp and require no sealing.  They can be used on floors, walls, in bathrooms, or as art panels.  For mosaic artists, they are a wonderful substrate- for interior or exterior mosaics.  Wedi Panels are about ¼ of the weight of Durock and other cement boards, and ½ the weight of MDF or birch plywood.  Wedi Panels can be cut to any desired size or shape with just a utility knife- no power tools required! 

Wedi Panels consist of three elements:  the core foam, fiberglass mesh and cementitious coating.  The foam core is the key element of the board.   The foam forms a closed cell matrix, providing a dense, lightweight, 100% waterproof core.  It is coated with a fiberglass mesh and polymer-modified mortar.  The mesh adds to the strength and rigidity to the board and the coating functions as a superior bonding surface.

HOW TO HANG

Because of the foam core, washers are required when attempting to screw into or through the panel.  Without washers, the screws or nails would go straight through the panel.  ‘Wedi Washers’ are specifically made for this purpose.  Wedi Washers have four prongs that press easily into the Wedi, with a center hole for an 8 gauge nail or screw.   When fully installed, the washer sits about 1/32” above the surface of the Wedi and can be mosaiced over.  Standard washers can be used as well.

IMPORTANT!  All hanging hardware needs to be attached BEFORE you begin to mosaic on the Wedi.

The type of hanging hardware needed will be determined by how you plan to hang your mosaic.  The most common hanging/securing methods are:

1)  Attaching your Wedi directly to another substrate, such as a wall or floor.  For this method, you would need to install the Wedi Washers on the FRONT of the Wedi panel—where you will be mosaicing- for future screwing or nailing into the final substrate.  Complete your mosaic except for over the washers.  After the mosaic has been installed, cover the washers with mosaic for a seamless look.  The hardware and instructions required for a Wedi wall installation are included in our ‘Wedi Wall Installation Kit’

2) Attaching a picture hanger to the back of the Wedi to hang the panel directly on the wall.  For this method, you would install Wedi Washers on the front and back of the Wedi Panel before attaching the picture frame hangers.  The hardware and instructions for attaching picture hangers to your Wedi Panels are included in our ‘Wedi Picture Hanging Kit’.

3)  Framing the Wedi.  If the frame is sturdy enough to contain the mosaic, the hanging hardware included on the frame can be used for hanging, with no special treatment of the Wedi required prior to mosaicing.  (I often use ‘Canvas Floater’ frames for framing mosaics created on Wedi.  Most Canvas Floater frames are available in a black aluminum which is also suitable for exterior applications.  You can mosaic up to the edge of the Wedi, and then drop the mosaic into these frames.  I use Liquid Nails to permanently adhere the mosaic to the Canvas Floater frame.  You can find these great frames in whatever size needed at www.pictureframes.com ).

To finish the edges of the Wedi panels, apply a coat of Weldbond to the edges to provide ‘tooth’ and then apply a skim coat of thinset for a finished edge.

Here are some pictures of a couple different ways to hang.  I'll post different ones as I see them

from Jacqueline Iskander

"...epoxying wood supports to the back of the wedi panel, that you can then screw into to attach the frame and/or hanging hardware. i also epoxy the hanging hardware to the wood, in addition to screwing.
for larger pieces, i would probably use thicker wood, or back the entire panel with a thicker wood backing board."

from stiglice

WHERE TO BUY

current prices at this time for 4 pcs of 24" x 24" x 1/4" including shipping:

www.tileshack.com                     $67.90
www.mosaicsmalti.com                $64.00
www.themosaicway.com              $80.00!

see http://www.wediusa.com/  for local distrubutors
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:14:31 PM by Cracked »
If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success unexpected in common hours.  Henry David Thoreau

Offline Cracked

• Certified Organic Cosmic Hippie Chic
  • Administrator
  • Melter
  • “Laugh often, Dream big, Reach for the stars!”
    • flickr photos
EasyBoard - what's IT all about?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:00:50 PM »

I've been reading on builders forums that EasyBoard is flimsy and dents easily.  The majority of them don't care for it. 
If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success unexpected in common hours.  Henry David Thoreau