Author Topic: Best place to buy substrate?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline smackinson

• Plans
  • Gatherer
  • Grandma's boys
Best place to buy substrate?
« on: February 17, 2016, 11:23:01 AM »
Hi everyone!  I am getting ready to do a gallery show alter in the year and want to include some mosaic works.  Can anyonw tell me the best place to buy substrate with mirror, or just in general a place offering a good selection at good prices?  Thanks for the help!
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."    Jeremiah 29:11

Offline Eileen ~ PantherFL

• Eileen
  • Global Moderator
  • Eloquent
  • Make a difference to someone
    • Mosaics, glass & stuff ghost forum:)
Re: Best place to buy substrate?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 10:47:52 PM »
Hi, I'm not sure what you're looking for, just heavy mirror?  Or something to attach mirror on?
I would look locally if it was for mirror of any size.  We have places locally where they sell mirror, like for doing walls, etc.
I retired & lost my little bit of free time!

Offline smackinson

• Plans
  • Gatherer
  • Grandma's boys
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 03:36:31 PM »
I've seen pictures of mirrors in wood frames, maybe 10-12 inches across, the ones I've found seem to be fairly costly, just wondered what a good source is, with decent prices. 
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."    Jeremiah 29:11

Offline Eileen ~ PantherFL

• Eileen
  • Global Moderator
  • Eloquent
  • Make a difference to someone
    • Mosaics, glass & stuff ghost forum:)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 08:46:50 PM »
Have you checked thrift stores?  Even if they have a print in them, you can remove that and just use the frame.  You can buy mirrored tiles at places like Home Depot, Loews, etc. and cut them to fit the frame.
I retired & lost my little bit of free time!

Offline meadel

• Contributors
  • Grouter
    • flickr
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 12:28:45 PM »

In case you're still looking...ikea has a good selection that's priced reasonably !