Author Topic: Am I ready to open a shop?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Danielle222crafts'n'stuff

• Curious
Am I ready to open a shop?
« on: January 18, 2015, 06:43:34 AM »
Ok, so I'm at the point in my crafting where most people who see my work tell me I need to start selling on Etsy. I had several sales over the holidays (one was a commission to make 14 necklaces for over $400!!! Yay) But I don't know if I'm ready to make that leap.
I've decided on a shop name- Timeless RESINance...since I make resin jewelry with a vintage style. More subtle meaning behind "timeless"  being that I use antique pocket watch gears in many of the designs...And I also like the play on words!
When it comes to jewelry photography, I am a complete novice, and the best digital camera I have is my cell phone! But with a couple months practice, and a LOT of really bad photos, I think I am finally getting photos that I am almost happy with. Here is a collage of a few of my favorite photos-not necessarily my favorite pieces!

There is so much more that I need to get pinned down- from writing engaging descriptions, to pricing, etc..

I would love any input, constructive criticism,  thoughts, or ideas about this online endeavor before I jump in there and fall flat on my face!

Thanks so much,

Offline Eggshelllady

• Communicative
Re: Am I ready to open a shop?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 11:02:40 AM »
Yes! I think you should open an Etsy shop! I love the name you decided on! Your pendants are beautiful and it is obvious that you are taking care to create quality work! Your pendants are gorgeous. also, your photos are surprisingly good quality with you cell phone. I like that you've used a simple, but complimentary background to showcase each piece. As for pricing...that's difficult. first make sure you cover the cost of your materials. Then perhaps search some Etsy shops that are similar to what you are doing, check their price ranges, so you can still be competitive, but go sell too cheap...your work is outstanding! I wish you the best of luck.  :bigok:  You are definitely on the right track with this. When you open your shop please post a link here so we can visit.

Offline Danielle222crafts'n'stuff

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 03:37:13 PM »
Thank you eggshell lady! I will absolutely post a link once I open shop. I am also looking into doing a craft show or crafter's market. Just not sure if I will find the right audience at a small venue like my local farmer's market- it's really more crafts than anything, but it's a very small community!

If only there were more days in the week, I might actually have the time to do some of these things!

Offline Eileen ~ PantherFL

• Eileen
  • Global Moderator
  • Eloquent
  • Make a difference to someone
    • Mosaics, glass & stuff ghost forum:)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 07:54:05 AM »
Yes, you are definitely sales worthy!
The other reason not to sell too cheaply, is that if you don't value your work, why would your customers?  Materials, time making the piece, and also time photographing and listing, etc.  You might also try searching for FB groups that have sales and online auctions.  I know there are some for lampwork beads and jewelry, and I'm pretty sure there are some for other types too.  Then you set a minimum price and state your shipping charges, and the buyers set the maximum for each piece.  You can show pictures on your personal page to the auctions so your friends/family know they're available if you want.

There are some good articles online on pricing your work, but I've never bookmarked any.  Maybe a google search would find some though.
I retired & lost my little bit of free time!